Powder Room Project: The Befores and Option #1

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Over the past few days, I've been reading about powder room makeovers on a few of my favorite blogs.  I loved Kathy's dark and decadent powder room at my Interior Life.



And Julie over at Monkey Grass Hill is planning a powder room makeover using
this removable wallpaper from Sherwin Williams.



Prepare to be underwhelmed as you view these photos of my powder room in its current state.




The paint color is Alexandria Beige by Benjamin Moore. Don't hate the color, just ready for a change. Architecturally, there are some good things to work with. The antique wall sconce is made of milk glass, and it will be staying.  I got the old crystal bar at Scott's in Atlanta years ago - it will remain in place. Oh, and that little oval mirror is going - it will be replaced with something like this..












Here's the flooring, it's marble with a pinky-beige background and veins of gray, dark purple, and even a bit of gold.


On the fence about whether this 1920's fixture will make the cut.  I have a replacement in mind, if I can get the husband to play along. If this fixture stays, those stylish  flourescent bulbs will be covered by these old iridescent shades.
The camera isn't picking it up very well, but these are gold art glass shades. They're opalescent with tones of pink, violet, green and blue - kind of a rainbow effect.

That brings us to Option 1, which is similar to what Kathy did in her powder room.  The walls will go dark - I'm thinking eggplant.


Black Raspberry by Benjamin Moore, I'd describe it as an "earthy" purple.  Then I'd like to bring in accents of green, persimmon, and brass.  Like these..


Tray from Furbish Studio


or



Glasses from West Elm

Image from Style Court.  I'd love to use this gorgeous marbelized paper as art with gold frames.



Or these brass flowers from The Zhush.


And yes, I'm a little scared.


Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be! Call Kim at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com.

29 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurry and finish it... I can't wait to see it all together - it sounds wonderful!

Jane @ the girl in the brick house said...

Oh, wow, it's going to look so luxurious - no-one will want to leave! I do love the charcoal grey walls of the top image, too.

The enchanted home said...

Want to see the finished product! I loove the colors of the first picture, is that a very dark loden green or super dark charcoal gray? So pretty and rich!
Please visit me, doing a great giveaway for a french chair....www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Thanks...have a great day.

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

The powder room is the one room in your home where you can go crazy and use all the out there stuff you are too scared to use in the rest of the house...I say go for it!

quintessence said...

I've been loving all the dark powder rooms - especially when they are windowless. I'm getting ready to redo mine as well so am looking forward to seeing what you do!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I love a glamorous powder room and it's so small that you can change your mind frequently. I'm all about the peacocks lately, think that 20's light fixture is great. I used marbelized paper (with lucite over it) as the backsplash in my kitchen :)

Interior Design Musings said...

Now that's some POW! Can't wait to see the transformation. M.

Unknown said...

It will look great! I can't wait to see it!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

Don't be scared, everything you've got your eye on here is just fabulous! I know it will all come together and we can't wait to adore XOXO

casey at loft and cottage said...

It's going to look pretty fab! Love that marbleized paper.

Unknown said...

Loving the eggplant color, all the fixtures you are keeping, and all of the accessory ideas...marble paper, I am such a fan! Also, thanks for the link love!:)

Anonymous said...

I think you have fantastic style and taste, so whatever you do will look great.

I started the papering project on Friday and half way through ran out of paper. So, make sure you have enough paper :)

I'm loving it so far though. I'm not sure about what to do with the lighting in there either.

Can't wait to see your finished room!

Julie

Unknown said...

The eggplant color will look fabulous and I am in love with the peacock looking rug. I can't wait to see what you decide and how it turns out.

Splendid Sass said...

I say EXPRESS YOURSELF. I think that the powder room leaves so much room for taking a chance. I love your choices here. Can't wait to see the finished product, Kim
Have a great week.
Teresa
xoxo

My Interior Life said...

Kim,

Thanks so much for the powder room love! You know, I love a dark powder room obviously, so I adore your choices. And either one of those rugs would look great. That tray? Those flowers? All fabulous! Can't wait to see your finished project. Just go for it!

Also, I think someone asked about my paint color. It is Benjamin Moore's "Mysterious" and it lives up to its name. Still not sure exactly what color it is! My best guess is a bluish dark gray. I love it though.

Take care!

Ashley said...

Can't wait to see how you pull together all of your inspiration pieces!

Lissa Pierce said...

Love all your choices.....I say definetly go for the dark! and keep that pendant, those irradescent shades are amazing!

ALR said...

The suspense....

lemondropdreams said...

It all sounds so good! I like the fixture, maybe a coat of paint would make you like it more. And I've been eyeing those trays from Furbish!

Kendall said...

Don't be scared!! Start with that fabulous paint color, live with it for a few days, and then make some more decisions after that. That's one good thing about working on your own home - you can work at your own pace!

Sharon Brown said...

It looks to me like you are on to something with your plan!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, sounds great-- can't wait to see!! Take care, Caroline

Erin said...

I love the rug from Modern Chic!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

I really like the eggplant color. Your plan sounds really good and I like the shades for the fixture. They look awesome!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

I like the idea of the wall color. Where are you envisioning the accent colors will be?

Mona thompson said...

You are hysterical. I love your prepare to be underwhelmed. cute! I'm loving your inspiration and can't wait to see what you do. the eggplant is yummy!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Option 2!!!!! I love the black painted baseboards in the inspiration! And, did someone say pink and gold/brass? Yes please!

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

thanks for featuring our peacock rug! what a fabulous post with so much inspiration :) i'll definitely be back to visit again.

xoxo - julie
www.modernchichome.com

(p.s. - join our mailing list to receive 15% off this rug & other items now through valentine's day).

Tom Marcus said...

I liked the interior design of modern design. With a design like this, this will add to the artistic value of my home. However, I also need design suggestions which are suitable for my home.