Wednesday, June 9, 2010

So here's something you probably didn't know about me!  When I was a young adult, I got to pursue my (then) dream career in the horse business! I have loved horses and riding since my dad gave me riding lessons for my 12th birthday. (I think he later regretted that decision - horses are all consuming of your time and money!)  Needless to stay, I stuck with it and eventually became a riding instructor at my barn and then went on to get my own place to board horses & teach riding!


Horses were my life and during this time (the late 80's), the Equestrian look was pretty big in Home Decor.  Naturally, I surrendered to this charming style!  Hunt scene pictures adorned my walls, needlepoint fox pillows were on my chairs and my worn out hunt boots had a spot right by the fireplace!

This was a very happy time in my life and although I am no longer doing anything with horses anymore, I still love them and have a soft spot for a horsey motif!  A word of warning, though - you can go too far with this look...




Best to create the look with classic finishes and a few well-placed accessories



Design duo's Badgley Mischika's Kentucky horse farm as seen in Elle Decor











I adore horses as muse in art...





Giddyup Studio via Etsy



Vizart through Etsy











And even today there are some sophisticated accessories that celebrate the noble horse...





Pike Road Pillow Company (above and below)


Horse and Hound






Now, if I could only capture the scent of  of a tackroom full of leather saddles...



9 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Love the artwork! There has got to be a perfume or room spray with that smell. Certainly someone has thought of it by now.

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Love your story! I loved the Badgley Mischka house too-- has the perfect balance! There has to be a candle out there somewhere with the smell you are looking for??

Unknown said...

Fabulous post, Kim! I LOVE equestrian touches, love them. I have a few equestrian items in my home and I love that classic feel! My mother-in-law just brought me a fabulous bag from the Devon horse show, it's in the style of the Longchamp totes but it has the Devon seal embroidered on the front, so cool!

Mary Ann said...

hi kim! to be an equestrian you have to have the discipline, skills and the financial means to support this hobby. and in your case, you have the style to top it all! verbena cottage

Maria Killam said...

Love the Ralph lauren room!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I'm a horse lover as well! I rode horses for years as a child, eventually quitting as a teen when I realized I couldn't go much further without my own horse (which we couldn't afford). I did schooling shows and absolutely loved it. My grandfather owned racehorses so I think it's just in my DNA.
Have a wonderful day!
~Michelle

Unknown said...

Nice to learn something new about you! You are so right about being "careful not to go to far". Images you chose are perfect, tasteful and lovely! Something about me... do you know, I've never been on a horse? One of those things I must do sometime!

Privet and Holly said...

I have NEVER gotten over my love of horses or the RL, All-American, equestrian style! My daughter rode until this year ~ 15 now and too busy ~ so, YES, I KNOW what you are saying about time and money. I am going to check out the Etsy sites that you mentioned, as I love horse {and dog} art! Thank you, my friend.
xx Suzanne

Robyn said...

That first photo CRACKS me up! BUT love the rest! Oh how COOL of you to have those great memories! When my oldest daughter was 6, we surprised her with her own Shetland Pony and riding lessons. We boarded at my brothers farm. SHE was PETRIFIED and still is to this day. We should have checked that out first, huh? LOL